Our friends at Tello recently alerted us that a competitor of theirs – RingPlus (another MVNO) – may be losing their service license with Sprint as soon as February 11. RingPlus has filed suit against Sprint due to disagreements it has with the provider. Due to this conflict, customers may lose their service within a week (RingPlus hopes to stay that relationship another 30 days, however).
But this leaves some 90k RingPlus customers looking for other cell services. And, since Tello providers a similar offering, they are welcoming new RingPlus customers into the fold.
How to port from RingPlus to Tello
You don’t have to close your account at RingPlus in order to join Tello, but you need the porting out details:
- Log in to your RingPlus account.
- Click the phone number you want to port out, then Manage Device
- Your PIN will be the 5 or 6 digit number listed as MSL
Once you’ve got your RingPlus account number, password, name & address (as they are listed on the phone bill), you’re ready to start. The great thing about this? Tello has no porting fee, so no worries here.
- Create an account on tello.com
- Go to Bring your own phone section and enter your ESN/IMEI/MEID.
- Remember you don’t have to get a new sim, since the one you had at RingPlus is going to work at Tello.
- Last porting step: enter your phone number.
If you don’t want to keep you old RingPlus number, you can just get a new one from Tello, and that will go smoother.
Read about our one-month experience with Tello
And some details that no one tells you about
- Most porting failures are due to the incorrect details, so make sure you get the right information from your previous carrier.
- With Tello, you can only have one line per account and that means you can only make one port per account; if you want multiple lines, the best way is to open several accounts with different emails → one for you, one for the Mrs, and one for Junior.
- The porting in process usually takes about 2 business days, but due to the high volume of port in requests, it may take longer than usual. Please be patient, we are working on making the process as fast as possible. In case you have any questions, Tello's Customer Support Team is ready to help you, 24/7.
My experience so far
I've been with Tello for a couple of months now and have been very happy with the service / the plans. I only pay $11.69 (including taxes) for unlimited text, 100 min of talk, and then 200mb data. This is really all I need and am saving about $4-5 more a month by making the switch.
You can choose build-your-own-plans, pay-as-you-go OR pay-as-you-go-credit. There is a lot of flexibility!
Get on board with Tello today!
This post was brought to you by our friends at Tello. All opinions expressed are our own.
No comment yet, add your voice below!