Some of the links on this page may contain affiliate links and we may receive compensation if a purchase is made - at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on
This past year marked our nine year anniversary of using DIRECTV for our TV service. This relationship has lasted a lot longer than I ever thought it would. However, that doesn’t go without saying that the relationship hasn’t had its bumps and bruises. Like any human relationship, it’s about give and take, and our experience with DIRECTV hasn’t been anything different.
Here is what our current service looks like:
- “Total Choice Family Package” – 55 channels – $29.99/month
- DVR Services – $0.00/month for 12 months (normally a $10/month service)
- NFL Sunday ticket – until end of 2014 season – $0/month (normally a $325/year service)
- Showtime – $0.00/month for four months (normally a $14/month service)
- Taxes/Fees: about $2.22/month
- Total Monthly Bill: $32.21/month
Some of you might be saying, “How is his bill so low?”, or “How is he getting all those extra services for free?” Part of that has been because I have been a loyal customer for nine years, but it really comes down to using The Disconnection Negotiation.
What is the Disconnection Negotiation?
About 5 years ago I read online that a number of people were getting all the things I listed above for $19.99/month for being a new customer of DIRECTV. That really irked my frugal bone, and made me wonder why I couldn’t get the same deal. Being the inquisitive thrifty guy that I am, I called in, and implemented my first trial of The Disconnection Negotiation. Here are the steps you too can utilize to lower your DIRECTV bill:
- Call DIRECTV Customer Service at 1-855-387-6898
- Press option #2 and option #3 to go to the cancel service center
- Greet the representative by name and state you’d like to disconnect your service
- They’ll ask for your first and last name, and the amount of your last bill. So have that on hand.
- State that you’d like to disconnect your service, because the bill is more than you’d like to spend.
- The rep will typically say that they are sorry to hear that. Ask if they have any promotional offers that would help you lower your bill and free services that might help you reconsider staying with DIRECTV.
- They’ll usually offer $10 off/month, but ask if they’d be willing to throw in some extra channels too.
- Talk it over with your spouse, and decide
It is at this point that you really need to consider, “Is what they are offering me a good promotion or can I get a better deal with Comcast, Dish, or Cox?” If you’ve done your research with your other local providers and have seen what their lowest price offers are, then it will help you make a decision when it comes to step #8.
I’ve used this technique to continually keep my DIRECTV bill low, and it keeps DIRECTV pursuing me as a loyal customer. Even though it takes a little research as to what other options I have with my local providers, the savings will add up.
To give you an example – with my current package – if I had done nothing, I would be paying about $120+ more per year. So basically, if I was lazy, and hadn’t fought for my bill, then I’d be out a lot of money over this next year.
This is one technique I use to lower my DIRECTV bill every month, but I’d like to hear your stories. How do you lower your DIRECTV, Comcast, Cox, or Dish bills? Do you frequently switch providers? Do you use online promotion codes? Please share your money saving stories!