Changes! Changes! Changes! (Insert the 2pac – changes theme song) That is what life has had in store for me and my family as we finished out the month of September. This past month I switched jobs after being in my previous position for 5.5 years! It was hard to make the switch with all the connections I'd made and all the things I'd learned, but an opportunity came along for me to advance my career, work on some cool new technologies, and make a little more money to help payoff my mortgage.
Along with my job changes I just launched my Airbnb business and had our first customers come through the last week of September. It went super well, and the tenants left the house super clean. My neighbor (who is deployed for three months) and I came to an agreement to rent out his house on Airbnb. It has worked out great for both our families. I put in the time and effort to clean and market his house, and he gains the benefits of making extra cash while he is deployed. For me it is going towards paying off the mortgage and hopefully make the Aug 2018 goal. Here is a recap of the past month and tracking on my multiple income streams.
Mortgage Pay Off Countdown
Paid last month (July 1): $1376
Extra Money That Was Applied: $67
Goal of Pay Off Date: August 2018
- Pension – [2016 Goal – $1308 – made $981 thus far] – the pension continues to feed our private school fund at a consistent rate with no required action.
- Peer-to-Peer Lending – [2016 Goal make $100 – made $19.23 thus far] – I've continued to pause my LendingClub.com contributions until after I've paid off my house. Also, I was previously distributing my egg sales to Lending Club and since we stopped doing the farming, then we won't have any more of this income stream.
- Egg Sales – [2016 Goal – $360 – made $112 thus far] – well as of September 23rd my boys and I are no long doing the chicken farming and raising our own eggs. It was a hard decision, but with the new job change I felt like it was best to get out for my family and put more focus on our house. Also I wanted to focus more of my efforts on Airbnb, and so far it is working out good.
- Blog Income – [2016 Goal – $6000 – made $6205 thus far] – I blew my yearly goal out of the water and now everything else is gravy! Well…not really. I'm continue to distribute our blog income to pay for private school until I have that account adequately built up. I hope to move all my TTG income to this account until the end of the year and hopefully after that be able to apply this income to my mortgage to make the Aug 2018 goal. In addition, Aaron and I are looking at other ways to make money from and through the site. More to come!
- Two Checking Account System – [2016 Goal – $500 – made $263.00 thus far] – we didn't have any sign ups last month, but we are continuing to stay focused on this income stream.
- Schwab Monthly Income Fund – [2016 Goal – invest $1200 and make $100] – contributions to this fund have halted for the last few months, because we are focused on paying off our house. Still more of the same in the coming months
- Amazon's MTurk – [2016 Goal – make $500 – made $30 thus far] – I haven't had any time to work on MTurk in the last month. I'm not sure if I'll put any effort into this low paying venture.
- AirBnB – [made $68 thus far] – had our first tenants this past month! With my cut of the revenue I made a little over $100, but we had to buy a digital lock for the front door. I applied this directly to our mortgage. The plan is to use the Airbnb income to paydown the mortgage. Every little bit helps.
With all the changes taking place so far this year I couldn't be happier with the direction that our family's finances are going! I can see the debt free finish line ahead! It is almost within grasp.
With my job change and the extra Airbnb income I'm sure that we will be able to make our Aug 2018 goal. We just need to be consistent with our saving, and not let any wants sway us from this laser focus!