Some of the links on this page may contain affiliate links and we may receive compensation if a purchase is made - at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on
About three years ago, I had the pleasure of reading Dave Ramsey‘s book, The Total Money Makeover, and immediately was drawn to his philosophy and take on finances. Lately, over the last six months, I’ve been tuning my radio to Dave’s show everyday after work for my commute home and love it. In listening to him and reading his book I’ve become acquainted with his terms, sayings, and how followers (who call in) have an instant connection with him. With that said, here are a few ways to know you are committed mentally and to Dave Ramsey! :)
- You frequently yell out “FREEDOM!!!!” when you pay with cash
- Your home wall art includes framed notices of your paid off mortgage, credit card, and car loan.
- You use terms like “that’s just stupid”, or “why wouldn’t you pay it off”, and “I’m living like no one else, so I can later live like no one else.”
- On your tomb stone you want it to say, “My paid off home mortgage replaced the BMW as the status symbol of choice.“
- You have an emergency fund with at least 3-6 months of living expenses.
- You talk to people in terms of baby steps and non-Ramsey followers think you are crazy! Strangers who follow Ramsey treat you like you are a family member and invite you over to see their paid off home.
- You know what to do if you receive a large sum of money! Buy lottery tickets and take out loans! :)
- You aren’t a sucker for 0% loans and refer to them as dancing with snakes.
- You have a life size tattoo of him on your back. (I couldn’t actually find anyone on images.google.com that had a Dave Ramsey Tatoo. So I think this would be considered extreme, but then again…Dave Ramsey is extreme with his viewers, because they sometimes need it!)
- Going to church and listening to Dave’s show every day are your weekly goals.
- You know his wife and kids names (this would be more classified as a stalker). Please no one comment with all his kids name! ;)
- You own a signed copy of The Total Money Makeover.
- When you become debt free you want to take a trip to Nashville and go to Financial Peace Plaza!
Well, these are just a few funny ideas I have of Dave Ramsey and is indicative of the type of following/culture he is creating in America! I personally think more people should take the same type of bold attitude to tackle their finances and I SO appreciate the FREEDOM he preaches from the air waves!
These are my ideas, but I’d really love to hear some of your’s! And feel free to come up with some funny ones too!