My family and I are always looking for ways to declutter our homes and living a simpler lifestyle. With that comes the removal of stuff and organization of the possessions we want to keep. For my kids, I think it’s extremely beneficial to live in a home that is 1) free from clutter, 2) that values quality time as opposed to possessions, and 3) has some organization to things we decide to keep. Growing up in a very cluttered home I set out early in our marriage to lead our family in having a welcoming home to guests and one that doesn’t take much to clean up. My wife and I find by removing excess clutter that it reduces our time of “stuff” management if we remove the excess. How many times do you find that you bring the junk mail in your home, put it on the kitchen island, and your 3 year old gets a hold of it and shreds it all over the kitchen floor? If the junk mail went straight to the shredder or recycling box, then it would cost you less time in stuff management. This is just one small example of being a parent of small kids, but here are a few youtube videos on 1) how to remove clutter, 2) what clutter to remove before selling your home, and 3) organizing clutter in your garage. Hope you find these videos helpful as I do.
How to declutter your home
Questions to ask yourself to declutter?
- Have you used it in the last year?
- Is there a way you can use it in the next week?
- If you have more than one, then get rid of the extra one
How do I get rid of things in my house?
- Have a box in your house marked “give away”
- Have a garage sale
- Sell them – ebay, craigslist, freecycle, or barter
Declutter your home for selling it
- Remove personal pictures
- Remove clutter from your kitchen counter
- Clean out your refridgerator
- Clean the bathroom sink area
Keys to decluttering your garage
- Cleaning out the basement usually pushes stuff to the garage
- Organize like items
- Separate seasonal items
- Make everyday use stuff easily accessible
Hang items on the wall
- Lawn chairs
- Store fishing poles with rod holders
- Have multiple shelves for storing items
- Store chemicals in one cabinet out of reach of children
Hope these decluttering ideas help you save time and money in having more efficient home and one that is welcoming to friends and family. What ideas do you use for decluttering your home?