Some of the links on this page may contain affiliate links and we may receive compensation if a purchase is made - at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on
With springtime in full swing its got many people in the mood to do a little spring cleaning. Here are a few tips to help motivate you to do a little spring cleaning and save a few bucks through home organization.
- Manage your mail. Everyday you receive mail and often it gets thrown about the entry way, car, kitchen counter, bathroom, and office desk. Have on basket near your entry for all mail to go into when it comes in your home. Change bills and statements to online statements. Savings – time for managing your mail and less clutter to find other things. Also helps make sure you pay your bills on time.
- Go from room to room and write a list of things you want to do to the room. With a list in hand you have an objective of what really needs to be done. Savings – allows you to search for deals on items you want in each room from organizing bins, shelves, paint, or posters.
- Buy a label maker. You can make labels for all your storage tubs, shelves, baking tubs (flour, sugar, etc). Savings – time spent searching for things.
- Invest in recycling tubs or boxes (label them with your label maker). Having a good home recycling allows you to get clutter out of your home and keeps your family environmentally in check. Savings – reduces your trash quantity and saves our landfills.
- Seasonal storage. With each changing of the season comes specific needs that have more frequent use. For instance, in the late fall I get my snow shovel out, because I didn’t need it all summer long. Also in the spring time its best to put away winter sweaters and long johns, because you won’t have a need for them for the next 6 months. Savings – less time searching through things and saving space in critical use area
- No duplicate purchases. How many times has this happened to you? Where you are trying to find an item and have looked for days. So you can’t find it so you go out and purchase another one, because you can’t find the original. Then you end up finding the original the day after you purchased it. Savings – not purchasing things you don’t need and consequently saving you money!
- Tub of reusable tupperware. Do you ever buy tubs of butter, thin sliced meat in a tub, or a small tub of cottage cheese or sour cream? All these tubs can be reused for saving left over food and there is no tupperware costs for you. Have a big box of these in a closet and grab some when you want to make extra leftovers and throw them in the freezer. Savings – free tupperware and quick and easy meals already packaged.
These are just a few ideas to get you and your family thinking about how organizing your home can save you both time and money.