Just recently, Ooma announced that it had joined partners with Nest to connect your Ooma telephone service to your Nest devices. Now with your Nest, you can either utilize the “Follow Me” or “Check-in Monitoring” or “911 Alerting” service. However, in order to utilize your Ooma & Nest, here is what you need to get started.
- Ooma Telephone Base Unit (currently $109.99 at Ooma.com)
- Nest Thermostat or Protect (CO2/Smoke Alarm) (ranges from $199.99 to $249.99)
- Ooma Premier Phone Service (about $10/month + $4 fees)
Setup Steps for Linking Ooma to Nest (Follow Me service)
FAQ’s – What is Ooma Nest Auto Call Fowarding or Check-in Monitoring?
- 911 Alerting – Ooma links with your Nest smoke detctor and will call your cell phone to alert you. With this phone call, then you have the option to notify 911 immediately and it will notify 911 of the home location you are calling about (more details via CNET)
- Auto Call Forwarding (follow me) – When Nest Learning Thermostat detects that no one is at home, your calls will be automatically forwarded to your cell phone or mobile app according to your call forwarding preferences. When Nest detects that someone has returned home, call forwarding will be disabled so that calls will once again ring your home phones.
- Check-in monitoring – If you’re expecting kids or an elderly family member to arrive home during a certain time period, check-in monitoring can give you some peace of mind. You can set up the days of the week and times when you’re expecting your loved one to arrive home, and if no one arrives home during that time you’ll receive a phone call to alert you.
Companies are making a lot of advancements in home automation, this latest partnership is another example of benefits of joining similar technical services for home improvements. As my family still uses a land line, I can see these services offering both safety and availability services for our family.
So what are your thoughts about Ooma, Nest, or home automation services? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
This article was brought to you by the fine folks at Ooma. All opinions expressed are our own.