Ideas for Giving During the Christmas Season
Today we got our first big snowfall of the season, and woke up to a nice dusting of 3 inches on the driveway. My boys and I immediately put on our snow gear, bundled up, and proceeded to clear the drive way and throw snowballs. My kids focused on the important task of snowballs!
When we came in Mom had made us frothy hot cocoa with marshmallows and whipped cream. All day we’ve been listening to Christmas music and just having a relaxing day.
With the snow, cocoa, and music it sure puts me in the Christmas season! The season of giving and joy for what we will celebrate on December 25th. (Isn’t it funny how you don’t feel the same way on a hot humid July day?) On ThreeThriftyGuys.com I feel like we focus a lot of our efforts “inwardly” and how we can help ourselves first (get out of debt, save more, etc). However, during the Christmas season I wanted to collaborate with our readers on ideas for giving. Asking one’s self, “How can I be a blessing to someone else?” With that said here are few ideas to get ya started.
- Christmas Jar – a couple of years ago my wife read the book, “Christmas Jars“, by Jason F. Wright. The premise is to fill up a jar with your extra coins over the course of a year. Then come Christmas time you are suppose to leave it at a door step of a needy family.
- Random Act of Kindness – this is similar to the Christmas Jars with the focus on doing something for someone else that isn’t expecting it. It’s especially rewarding when you are able to witness the joy from this kindness.
- Donate to Goodwill – this time of year is a great time to donate all the unused items to Goodwill and remove a lot of unnecessary clutter from your home. Coats, mittens, and scarfs are in high demand at a lot of thrift stores during this season too!
- Christmas caroling – as a kid my local church had a tradition of caroling around town and bringing bags of goodies to people’s homes. No matter how cold it was I always remember this, and felt so joyful to bring a light to folks who may have ailing health. I still remember caroling at the assisted living homes, and the smiles we’d get when they’d have singing visitors.
- Serve at a food pantry or soup kitchen – besides giving of your money, serving is another great way to give of yourself during the Christmas season. It’s hard to explain the joy you feel from serving others, and it’s a great reminder of how many people are in need.
- Tithing – have you looked at how much you have given to your church over the course of the year? Are you shooting for 10%? If you are short of your goal, then Christmas time is a great time to “true up” your giving to your goals. This will not only bless others, but help you come tax season!
- Shovel a driveway – do you have some older folks in your neighborhood who have a harder time getting around? Consider serving your neighbors in the capacity this Christmas season, and ask nothing in return.
So those are just a few of our ideas for sharing in the joy of giving during the Christmas season. What ideas do you have or plan on doing this year? I’d love to hear from some of our readers!
Latest posts by Charlie (see all)
- Ooma Business Review With Linx - July 16, 2014
- What Has Charlie Been Up To? - June 18, 2014
- How Paying off Debt is Like Running a Marathon – Actual Experience - May 14, 2014