Many residential and business owners across America are all suffering from the substantial increase of energy costs. Not only is the economy taking a toll on those trying to make a living, but the increased cost of utility bills certainly doesn’t help the situation. People are trying to find relief wherever they can, often searching for new providers like http://www.plymouthenergy.com/residential/electricity that offer better rates and provide good customer service. New solutions, such as energy-efficient appliances and techniques, are also being used to reduce the cost of utilities. Considering these innovative trends in saving energy, there are several ways that your small business or residence can save money while contributing to the ‘green’ movement.
Things You can do at Home
There are several things that you can do at home to combat the high cost of residential electricity, including:
- Have your insulation checked to ensure that energy is not escaping through the roof or sides of the home.
- Make sure that your windows are installed properly. Windows can be a huge source of energy loss if they are not the best fit for your home. It is definitely worth the investment to have new windows installed if you find that your old windows are costing you a significant amount of money in lost energy.
- Upgrade your energy appliances, including your heater and appliances. Newer models of appliances utilize the latest in energy-efficient technology. Many of the brands come with a guarantee ensuring that it will work for an extended period of time. New appliances also release fewer emissions into the air, filling your home with healthier air for everyone to breathe.
- Take the time to plant some trees. It may seem like a simple concept, but strategically planting trees in key areas of your yard will help to create shade on your home. This often works to reduce the temperature within the home, and allows you to spend less on air conditioning.
- Check around for rates. Call around to the companies in your area to determine which operation offers the lowest interest rates.
Things You can do for Your Small Business
It can be a struggle to get a small business off of the ground and going at full-speed. Many small business owners will grasp at any offer to save money on their operating costs. While large businesses seeking commercial electricity may be able to better negotiate lower costs on their energy programs, small business often lack the leverage needed to do so. If you are a small business owner, here are some things you can do to help lower your energy costs via http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-and-you/small-business/small-business2.html.
- Make sure that the insulation and roofing materials are sufficient at keeping your precious-energy in the building where it belongs.
- Ensure that your energy appliances are in perfect working condition. You may want to consider upgrading the appliances in your small business if they are outdated. While they may still be working for your energy needs, you will be amazed at how well new energy-efficient equipment will improve your work environment, as well as your utility bill.
- Install motion sensor lighting. Lights left on in rooms that aren’t being used can be a huge drain on your utilities. Installing sensor lighting will help dramatically at lowering costs and saving energy.
Not only is it important for businesses and residences alike to save money on their energy costs, but it is essential for the health of the environment to improve energy usage across all platforms.