How to Change the Code on Your Garage Door Opener
We are getting new renters in a property that we own and so I recently needed to reset the code on the garage door opener. For many of you, this is a no-brainer – but for me – it takes all my brain. After I researched how to do it – changing the code is really quite easy.
Follow these steps and you’ll have ‘er changed in no time. Most garage door openers work in the following manner. If yours looks a lot different, I would recommend you consult your manual or check the back of your garage door opener. There should be directions there.
- Our garage door opener has a keypad and a remote. Having both makes things convenient if we happen to leave the house and forget the remote or your keys. First things first – make sure your batteries are working in both the remote and the keypad. Most keypads will take a 9V battery, while the remote will take a small round battery labeled 2032 (of course, yours may be different).
- Next, check out the back of the opener that is attached to the ceiling of your garage. You’ll likely see something similar to figure 2. You’ll want to check for
the “learn button” or something that looks like a button. These are typically blue or red. When you find it, hold it down for about 6 seconds to reset the opener. Typically, a light next to the button will go out OR your lights attached to the opener will start to flicker. Everything should be reset and none of your remotes or keypad should be working at this point.
- Now to set the code - hit the “learn button” again so that the little light next to it lights up. You’ll have about 30 seconds or so to enter a new code on your keypad. Make sure it’s something you won’t forget! When you enter the new code, the light attached to the garage door opener will go on and off. The code is now set.
- Next, you’ll want to make sure your remote is synced up to the new code. All you need to do now is to hold up your remote to the back of the garage door opener, and press down (and hold) on your remote and then press the “learn button”. Let go of the remote button AND the “learn button” at the same time. Make sure it took – and hit the remote. It should now open up the garage door.
- Easy huh? If these steps didn’t take care of it – do make sure you consult the back of your opener as the directions could vary from device to device.