I’m not a huge movie watcher, but when we have some down-time, it’s fun to watch a show with the family and/or just the misses and I.
Sometimes, these movies are real gems. There have been a few over the years that I’ve really wanted to purchase and have as a keepsake.
Some of the movies on that list:
- Follow the Sun (most won’t know this one – it’s the story of golf legend, Ben Hogan)
- Memphis Belle
- The Assassination of Jesse James
- Cinderella Man
- Dead Poets Society
- Shawshank Redemption
When I do go to purchase these though – I really don’t want to pay full price. So, I’m always on the lookout for good deals. Here’s a few places I check when looking for cheap DVDs:
- Video store. While the number of video stores is dwindling due to the on-demand media that is available like, Hulu, Netflix and Red Box – there are still a few of these out there. After many uses or an over-supply, a lot of decent DVDs get put up for sale. Sometimes you can even find new DVDs for sale in a discount bin. There’s some great finds to be had there for cheap.
- Retail stores. A lot of times retail stores will also have an over-supply of different DVDs and will also put these in a discount bin. You can usually find these near the electronics section and they’ll often go for under $5.
- Libraries. Local libraries are known to have book sales now and then. During those sales, they’ll typically offer other media for sale too, which includes old CDs and DVDs.
- Garage Sales. No brainer here..
- Online. There are many websites out there that offer cheap DVDs*.
- Thrift stores. My mother-in-law loves buying DVDs. Many of them, she finds at local thrift stores for a pretty affordable price.
Any other places I’m missing where you can get a cheap DVD? What are some of your must-have movies?