7 ways to save money through your employer
One of your best ally’s in saving more money could be right next door to your cubicle: your employer. While every company is different, a majority of employers offer various perks to keep their people happy. Taking advantage of these could save you some decent change!
See if your workplace participates in any of the following:
- Travel discounts. Many agencies will offer group discounts to folks traveling. Your company may also have a travel agent you can go through to arrange your next getaway.
- Rental car discounts. Your company probably has some agreement with a rental company for your sales and marketing folks. Even if you aren’t a part of this department, you may be able to get some sort of deal.
- Entertainment/recreation discounts. Our company is associated with MERSC (Minnesota Employee Recreation and Services Council). This group is dedicated to sponsoring/helping companies find deals and discounts on recreational activities and events.
- Term life insurance. Many companies offer this free-of-charge with your benefits package. This can save you as much as $25-30/mo. depending on your situation if you were to get it yourself.
- Financial planning. Your workplace probably has a 401k set in place. And, there is likely a contact outside your company who helps oversee that fund. See if you can meet one-on-one with that individual to get ideas about how much you’ll need to retire, financial goals and other tips. (Also, if you’re company does matching on a 401k, this is more money in your pocket).
- Microsoft® Home Use Program. Here’s a great deal – but you’ll need a special code from your company to access. You can get the whole Office suite for about $10.
- Local business discounts. Many stores, restaurants and businesses depend on local traffic. So much so, they’ll offer group discounts for companies in their area. At my workplace, one nearby car wash gives us a percentage off for patronizing them.
Have you been able to save in other ways through your employer?
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Thrifty Things You Can Do to Feel Better - December 15, 2014
- Try These Tips to Save an Extra 10% or More on Purchases - December 10, 2014
- Why Qdoba is Better Than Chipotle - December 1, 2014